Citrus Infused Multi-Purpose Cleaner
- White Vinegar: Vinegar (acetic acid) deodorizes, cuts grease, and due to its level of acidity, it kills bacteria, mold and germs. It is non-toxic and completely environmentally friendly.
- Citrus: Citrus, lemons in particular, are high in citric acid, which makes them a great grease cutter and disinfectant. It can also be used as a stain remover because of its mild bleaching properties. The citrus peels also help give the cleaner a fresh, citrus-y scent.
- Essential Oils: Essential oils are optional in this recipe, but they do boost the anti-bacterial benefits of the cleaner. Tea tree oil, and Lavender oil are my favorites essential oils for cleaning due to their disinfectant qualities. Tea tree oil has anti-fungal properties that can kill staphylococcus, e-coli, shigella, and salmonella, making it a super hero in the kitchen. Lavender oil as a cleaning agent is a powerful disinfectant with a beautiful scent.
How to Make Citrus Infused Multi-Purpose CleanerWhat You'll Need
- A jar with a non-metal lid (vinegar will corrode the metal. You can cover the jar with a plastic bag and secure it with an elastic band)
- Citrus Peels (majority lemon)
- White Vinegar
- 15-20 Drops Essential Oil (Rosemary, Tea Tree and Lavender are my faves for cleaning) - buy organic essential oils HERE.
To UseStrain the mixture in to a spray bottle, and add your choice of essential oils (if using)—I use like rosemary, tea tree, and lavender in this recipe. You can use this cleaner full strength or diluted. Full Strength: good for areas that could use some extra disinfecting, like the bathroom, or to remove built up oil and grease in the kitchen. My husband uses it full strength to clean his tire rims and other greasy areas in the shop. Diluted 50/50 with water: You can use this cleaner diluted for use as a multi-purpose/surface cleaner. Tip: When paired with baking soda, this is the best bathroom cleaner going, and can seriously conquer soap scum. Simply spray your sink/toilet/tub with the cleaner, sprinkle with baking soda, and scrub!
Tire rims cleaned with citrus infused cleanerPrevious: How to Make Fruit Kvass